Complaints Procedure

How to Complain about School Toilets

The Children and Young People’s Commissioner for Scotland recommends that we follow the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman procedure to complain about toilets.

To do this parents or carers should first contact the headteacher of their school about their complaint. This can be done by email, telephone or verbally in person. If the parent/carer is not satisfied with the response this can then be escalated by sending an email to

  1. Complain to the Headteacher

If your child has experienced any issues with the mixed sex toilets, raise a complaint with your school's headteacher by sending them an email. If you are not satisfied with how your complaint has been addressed by the headteacher, you can then escalate your complaint be sending an email to

If your school has changed the toilet facilities to mixed sex then For Women Scotland have provided this template letter which can be sent to your school's headteacher.

For new build schools send your complaint directly to

Complaint about Planning Permission

  1. Complain to the Highland Council

If you are not satisfied with how your complaint was handled by the headteacher then please complain to Highland Council by sending an email to

An example template letter for a female child stage 2 complaint :-

An example template letter for a male child stage 2 complaint:-

  1. Share your story

If you are comfortable, please share your story. You can do so anonymously by contacting us and we can collate the number of complaints which encourages other parents to come forward.

Share your story on social media like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter

If you want your story in the local press we can put you in touch with journalists at The Inverness Courier and the Press and Journal.